June 22nd-23rd, July 13th-14th 2024
30 hour in-depth training to enable you to deliver safe, creative, enjoyable chair-based yoga to a diverse range of communities.
This professional development training for Yoga Teachers and professionals working in care settings will give you the basic skills to run chair yoga classes or integrate chair yoga into your regular teaching or care setting.
These skills can also be applied in numerous settings, such as active retirement groups, wheelchair users, community groups, people with special needs and for people with limited movement due to health, injury or recovery from surgery.
On this training you will learn how to:
Suppoprt your students and clients to develop more mobility and confidence in their bodies
Learn techniques for mental and emotional well being
Offer an environment where people can have fun at the same time learning to care for themselves.
Course Director and Teacher : Clare Osborne
Clare has been a Yoga Therapist since 2014, working one-to-one with people in relation to emotional, mental and physical well-being. She was a supervisor for Yoga Campus Yoga Therapy Diploma for 7 years and or 8 years was involved in the Mandala Project, being a founding member, and co-creating a Trauma-Informed facilitation training based around embodied principles (such as Yoga) which she ran in Jordan, Palestine, Ireland and now online. Her work with YMP involved volunteering for a number of years with mostly Syrian refugees in Jordan and for a short time in Greece with the Yazidi’s. For more info on Clare, please go to her website.
Who is the Training Suited To?
This training is open to all who work professionally with people who complex or limited mobility needs., or who work in a setting where space is limited and sitting in chairs forms a large part of the daily routine (e.g. schools, offices). It may be especially helpful as professional development for:
- Healthcare Professionals
- Yoga Teachers
- Yoga Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Teachers in primary or secondary schools
- Therapists and health workers who would like to include a body-based practice into their work.
Schedule & Commitment
- In person training: Two weekends, June 17th – 18th and July 15th -16th, 10am -5pm each day.
- Two online classes between weekends with specialist chair yoga teachers, showing how chair yoga can be applied. (Weekends and classes total 27 hours.)
- Reading between modules
- End of course assignments. (3-4 hours to complete).
- Teaching practice during the final weekend.
- Questionnaire on course content
- Personal research project about an area of interest, to design a class for an individual student or target group and research the condition, description of physical/mental emotional considerations, cautions and contraindications, standard healthcare treatment and relevant support resources in your area
- You are expected to commit to a personal practice of chair yoga throughout the course.
- Overview of chair yoga, it’s applications and target groups
- Practical steps and supports to set up a class and make it accessible
- A wide range of practices including Asana, Pranayama (breathing practices), Mudras, Meditation, Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra, plus therapeutic applications and adaptations.
- Several practice sequences to support creating balanced and creative classes
- Practices for minimally mobile students
- In depth information to support posture
- How to help people develop the skill and confidence to move from the chair into standing.
- Introduction to yogic philosophy relevant to chair yoga classes
- Introduction to therapeutic yoga models as a lens for understanding health conditions and support for planning class plans
- Health and safety tips
- Detailed teaching tips, to support you to hold space in a compassionate and sensitive way
- Trauma sensitive teaching practice
- Introduction to medical and health conditions
- Reflection on emotional considerations in chair yoga
- Overview of the nervous system
- Reflections on Yoga practices as a support for the nervous system, general health and the management of pain.
- Supervised teaching practice
Fees and Booking
- Full price: €550 – one time payment to be paid in full before the course starts.
- Early bird: €499 paid in full before the end of April.
- Karma Yoga Place €450 – One reduced fee place available for someone in financial need, in exchange for practical support during the course. To apply for this place please contact email@example.com
- Reduced fee for previous students €450
- Deposit €150 (secure your place and we will send you a link for remaining payments before the training starts).
- Payment plans are also welcome. Please get in touch and we can work out a schedule that will best support you.
Fees include manual, assessment and certification fees.